Secretary Volunteer Fire Company, Inc. was established on Feb. 5, 1937 with 63 charter members.
When the fire company was first started, the men met in a building where the town hall now stands. The first piece of fire equipment was a 1917 American La France, purchased in Hampstead, MD.
The building that was the old firehouse was an old school that was located on Academy Street. This structure was moved to Myrtle Street where it was used as a school until about 1940. In 1940-41 this became the firehouse. This building was used until October 1984 when it was burned to make room for a new building, which was built in 1984-85.
This building now houses our current equipment, Engine 16-2 2000 E-One 1,500 GPM/1,000 Gallon Tank, Engine 16-1 1999 American La France 1,500 GPM/1,000 Gallon Tank (which carries our Hurst Rescue System), Ambulance 16-1 2000 Ford Road Rescue, Brush 16-1 1984 Chevrolet 1-1/4 ton Truck, Tanker 16-1 2000 International 5,000 gallon tank.
The first Fire Chief was Carl Dean, and the first President was Andy Sard.
Secretary Volunteer Fire Company, Inc. proudly protects 2500 people living in an area of 20 square miles. We operate out of 1 station that protects a primarily residential area. Our department is a public department whose members are on a volunteer status.
The Secretary Volunteer Fire Company Incorporated is an all Volunteer Fire, EMS & Rescue Company. SVFD has 70 Active, Honorary, and Life members. Our Mission is to provide professional emergency service, fire prevention education, and emergency services awareness to the residents of Secretary Maryland and the surrounding areas.
The Fire Company are Members with the following Associations:
- Dorchester County Volunteer Fireman's Association,
- Eastern Shore Volunteer Fireman's Association,
- Del.Mar.Va Volunteer Fireman's Association,
- Maryland State Volunteer Fireman's Association.